Okra is a vegetable that can be cooked in a variety of ways. One popular way to cook okra is by frying it.
This mostly happens because people fry them with bacon, but this leaves the food with tons of fat and calories!
An air fryer is an alternative to frying foods, which makes cooking vegetables like okra not only possible but healthy as well.
In addition to being healthier than fried foods, using an air fryer also provides less mess and clean up for those who are short on time.
Air Fryer Okra Recipe
Air Fried Okra is the ideal crispy snack, appetizer, or facet dish to make to your Air Fryer.
Tossed in a cornmeal and flour combination after which air is fried to golden-brown perfection, the clean okra becomes crispy with just a few sprays of oil.
Fried Okra may be very famous in the South and frequently served as a facet dish however it additionally makes an exceptional snack to munch on!
- 1/2 cup (about 2 7/8 oz.) fine yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons water
- 8 ounces fresh okra, cut into 1/2-in.-thick rounds
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup bottled white barbecue sauce
Stir together cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, paprika, and half a teaspoon of the salt in a shallow dish. Whisk together egg and water in a separate shallow dish.
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for three minutes. Meanwhile, dip half of the okra in egg mixture; eliminate okra, letting extra drip off, and switch to cornmeal mixture, tossing to completely coat.
Transfer lined okra to a plate. Repeat the method of final okra.
Lightly coat the air fry basket with cooking spray. Add okra to the basket in a single layer; coat generously with cooking spray.
Cook till golden brown and crispy, 12 to 14 minutes, tossing okra and coating with extra cooking spray midway via cook time.
Remove okra from basket; sprinkle flippantly with the final half of teaspoon salt. Serve right now with barbeque sauce.
Tips for making Air Fried Okra
- Traditional southern Okra recipes use a cornmeal-flour combination however you could additionally most effectively use flour in case you don’t have cornmeal on hand.
- The cornmeal provides a few extra texture and taste to the fried Okra
- Add greater seasoning to the breeding combination like cayenne pepper, paprika, or garlic powder for additional taste or heat.
- Instead of egg and milk, you could additionally use 1/four cup buttermilk.
- Use an excessive smoke factor oil spray that is taste impartial like avocado oil, mild olive oil, or coconut oil.
- Shake the basket lightly so the bread doesn’t fall off.
- Depending on your Air Fryer you could possibly air fry in batches. The cooking time also can range relying on the version you have.
- Fried Okra tastes excellent served proper away with a sprinkle of salt
Can you add bread to Air Fryer Okra?
Yes, of course, you may additionally add breading to okra too and positioned it withinside the air fryer, this is an excellent choice.
This could be very much like how we make it at the stove, however instead, it’s air fried.
Can you air fry frozen breaded okra?
If you don’t have time to make fried okra from scratch, strive making breaded frozen okra for your Air Fryer!
Using an Air Fryer rather than pan-frying or deep-frying frozen breaded okra saves time and calories.
Put the frozen okra withinside the Air Fryer Basket and air fry at 400 F for approximately 15 mins till crispy, shaking the basket a couple of times at some stage in cooking.
How to freeze fried okra
You can freeze a number of the fried okra. Here’s a way to keep the leftover fried okra:
- First, you want to chill them completely.
- Second, place the fried okra on a baking sheet in a single layer, freeze for 1-2 hours, after which you switch to a freezer bag or an hermetic container.
- Third, keep it in the freezer. If nicely stored, those fried okra will preserve the exceptional first-rate for up to a few months.
How to cook fresh okra without it going slimy
Okra is a staple of Southern cooking and may be problematic to cook perfectly. When okra isn’t cooked right, it is able to be slimy.
The slime okra consists of soluble fiber that you may digest and in fact is ideal for you. However, for lots of people, the slimy texture can also additionally flavor ordinary and unappetizing.
An air fryer is surely the great kitchen device that makes cooking okra less complicated and quicker.
In addition, an air fryer can cook food that tastes deep fried without the want to feature oil!
Cooking sparkling okra fast at excessive heats inclusive of air-fried, deep-fried, or grilled allows remove a number of slimes!
It’s a no-brainer selection to apply an air fryer!
The air fryer okra is a great dish. It leaves the vegetable with a crunchy exterior and soft, creamy interior that can be enjoyed without any of the guilt.
No more frying in oil or using tons of butter! Whether you are looking for an easy weeknight dinner option or want something new to try at your next party, this healthy recipe will make it happen.
Give it a shot-you won’t regret it!